Non-clients: $490 per attendee
Program Ends: 12:00 PM
Unraveling the Mystery of School Finance—For Superintendents and Top Administrators
Educational leaders in California are responsible to develop a strategic plan and manage the fiscal resources available to the local educational agency (LEA). Historic levels of federal and state funding for the programs and services provide administrators with great opportunity and responsibility to impact educational programs. Today’s decisions are even more critical as the once robust economy is beginning to soften.
The leaders who have the greatest success are the ones who best understand the challenges and opportunities as they are presented. The current funding model is complicated further by the addition of new initiatives and expiring pandemic relief funds. Collaboration with educational partners requires not just the ability to understand the budget, but the ability to explain it in context to labor groups and the school community.
The purpose of this webinar is to take the complexities of school finance and distill them so superintendents and other top administrators of LEAs can use financial information to make improved policy and programmatic decisions. With decades of experience in school agency finance and governance, top experts from the Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team and School Services of California Inc. have teamed up to bring this must-attend event to school agency nonfinancial administrators.
The format of this webinar is specifically designed for superintendents and top administrators to focus on the critical aspects of understanding your LEA’s finances to improve policy decision-making. Topics will include the following:
- Strategic planning and budget development cycle that fosters the connection to educational goals and strategies in the Local Control and Accountability Plan to budget items
- Determining a healthy reserve and communicating about reserves to stakeholders
- Understanding multiyear financial projections and evaluating your financial status
- Planning staffing needs and the budget impact of staffing decisions
- The latest in collective bargaining and strategies for managing the financial impact
- Monitoring and controlling the budget to avoid surprises
- Understanding the impact of cash deferrals
- Making appropriate use of one-time funds
- Best observed practices in school fiscal management and how to stay out of trouble